Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Achilles Strain and Weigh-in

Greetings Runners,
I went into the doctor late last week and he confirmed that I have a strain of my right Achilles tendon or acute Achilles tendinitis. His recommendation was to take 1 - 2 weeks completely off (or risk further injury i.e. partial tear or rupture). I told him that was an option, and so we moved on to the next option which is physical therapy. I start that today.

I have been only running every other day the past week and I cut my long run in half this weekend from 12 to 6 miles. I am planning on starting a biking routine on my off days this week(probably an hour of biking at my target heart rate to stay conditioned). I have been icing it about three times a day (ice rub) and taking copious amounts of Ibuprofen, which seems to help. I have also continued my stretching regimen.

Needless to say I think it's going to take a miracle to get me to the starting line. I had a difficult time even walking after my 6 mile run on Sunday, so I don't know how I'm going to get my mileage where it needs to be. I have run a 20 and a 19 miler thus far in my training, but I'm very concerned this could get worse if I push it. I have already made the decision to pull out of the Sioux Falls 1/2 marathon this weekend which was very painful for me to make, but I know is the right decision considering the marathon is my ultimate goal.

I think my mental state is worse than anything. I'm just really bummed about the whole deal. I need to persevere and see where I'm at in the next two weeks. If it's not improving I'll make a decision then as to whether I'll be running again or not.

Oh, and to make matters worse my weight is up for the first time in my training. I weighed in this morning at....

209lb's

No comments: