Friday, August 1, 2008

July Roll Call - Skippy

July was a good training month. I continued to get my long runs in, culminating with a 20-mile trail/hill torture session last weekend. I'm proud to say I had nothing left and walked a lot toward the end. The good news is that I now know I'm ready for the Ascent as long as I'm having a decent day and I don't lose my head over tree line. The combination of oxygen deprivation and exhaustion does weird things at that altitude.
The one race I did in July wasn't my best, but I was able to restore my confidence in running downhill without injury. A lousy time beats injury any day.
Looking forward to the marathon, I'm eager to get on the long and flat training plan starting in late August. I need to figure out how the Higdon and Daniels plans stack up and decide how I'm going to approach those critical six weeks of final ramping. Like many of us, my body just isn't used to that level of stress.
In general, I'm starting to get truly excited about the prospect of completing a marathon (alive)!

No comments: