Friday, August 1, 2008

July Roll Call - Tracy

My training has been going pretty well. Although, it's fair to say that it's kickin my butt. I can't seem to get enough sleep no matter what I do. It should be interesting once the school year starts NEXT week. Yikes!

I experienced my first long run bonking. Let's see, I attempted my first 12-miler on HOT Saturday at 9 am (again, that whole sleep thing), after not eating breakfast, and with no sustenance during the run other than water. To say the least, I didn't quite finish all 12 miles. It was a painful lesson. I have since tried to avoid heat (mainly by starting earlier), make sure I eat something before my long runs, and have discovered the miracle of gels! It's crazy how much I feel the boost! I love it...wish I had discovered these while I was competing in college. Since that one traumatic run, my long runs have been going great. I've got a 17-miler scheduled for this Saturday, so that should be interesting. As my dad calls it, I'm getting into serious mileage now.

All that said, I'm having a great time and losing weight even though I'm not trying to. Injuries have been pretty non-existent other than the occasional ache and pain. I am definitely interested in joining some folks for my long runs on FLAT surfaces, so if anyone is gathering for a long flat run, let me know. Happy training!

No comments: