Wednesday, May 28, 2008

NIPPLES! (uncomfortable topic #1)

No, you haven't been spammed. I figured I'd start the conversation on uncomfortable running topics. This one's for the boys, but not for the reasons you might guess. This has to do with an issue men face. I'm sure women have other issues.

As I did my May update yesterday, I forgot to mention an important lesson I re-learned Monday on my long run. When I got home, I looked in the mirror. I had about a 2" red circle on my white shirt. Then, I realized I should have taped up before I started running. If you haven't done this before, it's a bit awkward. I typically bring along a couple band-aids and apply them to my nipples right before starting. This helps a lot. It's a lot better than hurting the rest of the week, like I am.

If you should happen to forget taping or get bloody some other way (i.e. falling or excessive shoe rubbing), hydrogen peroxide gets it right out.

Happy running! I bet you can't wait for uncomfortable topic #2.

1 comment:

Steven S. Castle said...

Wow - I cringed just reading your description.

Yes, I have also learned the hard way with nipples. I have a serious "nipple aversion" just ask my wife. I think it comes from countless "titty-twisters" from my brother who unmercifully would not release until I whistled. Needless to say it is nearly impossible to whistle while recieving a titty-twister.

Anyway, yes I do utilize bandaids on my nipples for all runs over 8 miles (better safe than sorry). I also lube up with petrolem jelly between my legs and my butt-crack (for lack of better verbage), and the underarm area. I've had some uncomfortable experiences in those areas as well (nothing like the nipples though).

I forgot to do the above on my 10 mile run this past weekend and had a close call. I think I just missed a nice nipple burn (no lingering effects thus far).