Wednesday, July 23, 2008

July Roll Call - GPS

I shared much of what is new in my previous post in terms of my training. I'm just coming off a rest week (miles ramp down), but will be quickly accelerating my training this Sunday with a 16 mile run. The most I've run up to this point is close to 14 miles so I'm a bit nervous. I just keep telling myself LONG AND SLOW. I'm good at that. I went out for an 8 miler yesterday and felt great, so I'm feeling optimistic. The key for me is running when it's cool - I perspire more than most, and heat really gases me. So far the heat hasn't been an issue like last year, but there's still some time left in July.

I started experiencing some "runners knee" in my right knee again (started seeing the symptoms last August). Mostly a dull ache under my kneecap that persists for a portion of my run, but eventually warms up. I believe this is the early stages of a tracking issue caused by some weakened quad muscles. I've begun some exercises to strengthen these muscles along with a strong stretching routine. I also purchased a Patella strap that I wear just below my knee cap. This has seemed to really help. I never thought I would be one of "those guys" with the black strap. I never even knew what it was far until I did some research recently.

After talking to Pat, I think I'm going to purchase a 2nd pair of shoes I can rotate in my training as well. I'd like to have my stride analyzed to ensure I have the right shoes. If I can't find anyplace around here that does that, I'll pick some up while in Colorado Springs this August.

For the most part, all is well and full steam ahead! By next update, I should be able to talk about the Ascent and my first 20 miler - Fun, fun.

No comments: