Friday, July 4, 2008

June Roll Call (Scott)

June was a month of ups and downs for me. It started with a pretty good race. I also had some good long runs. However, my weekday runs suffered a bit for a variety of reasons. I have been learning some lessons about factors that can kill a run, including hydration, sleep, and temperature. I started running with a heart rate monitor. It's pretty interesting as both a logging tool and an aide in listening to my body. It lets me know when I'm having to work harder due to some of those factors I mentioned above.

One of the things I struggled with in June was downhill running. I really need to find a happy medium between walking (too slow) and running fast (too damaging). I know the answer is to spend more energy keeping the brakes on my running pace, but I tend to let things go too much. This leads to injury. After extended downhill trail runs, I've had tender knees for at least a week. This tends to take the wind out of my sails to say the least.

Looking forward, I plan to do a hill race this Sunday (where I can practice my new downhill approach). Then, I'll be doing some "cross training" the week of 13-July in Alabama. It should be hot, humid, and flat, none of which I'm used to.

No comments: