Tuesday, July 1, 2008

May-June-July Roll Call (Tracy)

Since I missed May and it's now July...I guess I'll cover 3 months at once :)

May was rough for me. I started a new position at work (executive officer for all the military types) and it pretty much kicked my butt. I basically missed the entire month of pre-training which set me back quite a bit.

Regardless, I started the marathon training according to Hal Higdon's plan in June, however, because I missed so much time, I had to start with the novice plan. All has been going well so far. My longest run so far has been only 9 miles, but I am injury-free. Even the annoying shin pain I had back in April is gone (I guess the time off in May helped in some ways). I have adjusted my training plan to include speedwork as well and it is definitly helping with my pace (another downfall to the time off in May - I'm not running nearly as fast as I'd like to be right now.) I plan to run a half-marathon in early September to get a better feel for my expected marathon pace. I know things will get much more difficult in August with the schoolyear starting, so I'll hopefully have figured out the tricks of my new position to leave time for my runs. It certainly will be a challenge. Any past execs out there (I know there are a few), feel free to lend advice :).

I'm one of the few not running the Peak, so I've been keeping my runs as flat as possible. The Santa Fe trail works great! I've even convinced Demi (my husband) to come along on his bike for my long runs as my "waterboy". Regarding nicknames...TC will work...that's my latest one. I've had others like "lil' cash" "trd", but that's b/c of my maiden name, Denaro, which means "money in Italian. A few of my coworkers have tried the President-related nicknames due to my married name (Clinton), but I can promise you I won't respond to those! :)

At any rate, best of luck with everyone's training and I look forward to meeting many of you soon. Demi and I plan to be at the top of the Peak to cheer everyone on in August.

No comments: