Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Some Helpful Resources/Tips

Here are some helpful resources that I used as I trained for my first marathon and some helpful tips I learned the hard way. After all experience is the best teacher, right?

Resources:

Tips:

  • Keep a running journal of your training (I do mine right on my outlook calendar - I put my training runs in there then log my info each day that I am tracking). It's fun to look back on too.
  • Do some races as part of your training (5K's, 10K's, half-marathons, etc.) - great for getting used to the road race environment or getting reacquainted if you're a vet. Why not set some PR's along the way?
  • Long Runs - by definition anything over 13 miles (though you could use if for lesser runs too)
  • 1) run early when it's cool
  • 2) think long and slow
  • 3) hydrate and fuel throughout out (gel packs every 45 min.'s and drink every 10 - 15 min.'s). How much and how often will be determined through trial and error, but those are general guides. I'm a larger guy so it took more often and more quantity. The heat also plays a role in the summer.
  • 4) get a hydration pack system that works for you so you always have it on you - I used a hydration belt and loved it, but some people hate them.
  • 5) if you are new to the long runs - find a "loop" that brings you back to your starting spot a couple times in the run - you'll only get stuck on a long out and back once. There's nothing worse than having to walk 8 miles back to your home. It's that or carry a cell phone in case you get into trouble and have a helpful voice on the other end (props to my wife, Tina, who did a number of rescue missions)
  • Stretching and Ice are your friend - you are not a wuss if you have to use ice! Thanks to pes anserine bursitis/tendinitis in my right knee I am incorporating a more vigorous and aggressive stretching routine based upon long, slow stretching (hamstrings, quads and Achilles for me) at the advice of my doctor and PT professional. I paid lots of money for this advice so you can learn the hard way (get injured like me and pay lots of money for people to tell you what you already know) or the easy way (work smarter not harder).
  • I will also be incorporating some strengthening exercises for my quads and hamstrings - I didn't realize it but long distance running actually weakens your quads. This can cause your knee cap to pull off it's natural track (sharp pain in the top of your knee when you start to run). Another issue I ran into about week 12ish into my training.

No comments: