Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fire it up!

OK, I finally, officially joined the insanity. I registered for Chicago against the advice of every non-runner I could find. ;) I set a soft goal of 3:45 (~8.5 minute pace), but I have no idea what to expect at that distance.

I had a wonderful experience over the weekend. I got to run at ~1000 ft elevation in Atlanta. I had wings! However, today's run was a bit of a rude awakening back at the usual 6000+ ft. It was just one of those "couldn't find the groove" days.

When I got home today, I saw that my schedule shows "tempo runs" starting about now. Since I didn't pay much attention to this the last time I ramped up, I thought I'd look into it. I found this interesting article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-265-12224-0,00.html

Does anybody have any advice for tempo runs? For example, how do you dial in the right pace and interval? Are there clear physical signs of the lactose threshold?

Also, did anybody sign up for that $30 feeding frenzy before the Marathon? I passed on it since I wasn't sure.

No comments: