Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April Roll Call (Shane)

Greetings Team Lifer's from Ohio. Sorry for my slow response ... better late than never. As of now (being that I've yet to run a 20 mile training run), I'm still planning to run the marathon. :)

Training:
- I'm maintaining my regular routine of weights and cardio, which typically entails 1-hr of strength trainining and stretching and 1-hr of cardio (treadmill, bike, eliptical, etc.) 5 to 6 days/week.
- I'll replace my cardio training with Hal Higdon's 18 week training program in mid-June. I still haven't decided between the Novice or Intermediate schedule, but leaning toward Intermediate.

Injuries:
- Nothing serious ... some tender joints at times especially in the knees. I'm a heavy boy (currently weighing in at about 205 lbs), so my knees get a little tired of carrying me around after 5 or 6 miles of running.

Goals:
- FINISH THE RACE!!! This is my first marathon, and perhaps my last ... I still maintain that individuals that purposely set out to run 26.2 consecutive miles are somewhat mentally ill, so I'm trying to limit the progression of this mental illness by stopping after one. :)
- I haven't established a time goal quite yet ... my best half time was 1:48, but that's when I was a slender 185lbs and had two maniacs to train with (i.e., Pat and Duke!). Right now I'm thinking under 5 hours, but I need to see how the training goes.
- Lose some weight. I'd like to get back down to 170-180lbs, which is where I was the last time Pat first roped me into a running event, but then we ran 4 or 5 races that next year (including tw0 half marathons) and I gained 15 lbs in the process. I always hear runners talk about all the weight loss, so I'm hoping to see some of that this time around.
- Experience the Windy City with some very good friends that I love and respect (Pat, Angi, and Duke) and enjoy the fellowship of new friends (the rest of the gang!) ... even if you all are mentally ill to some degree (see goal 1 above).

I look forward to meeting you all in Chicago!

No comments: